BREAK AND REMAKE TV!
DATE & PLACE: June 7th-8th (Saturday-Sunday), SPUR, 654 Mission Street, San Francisco, California 94105-4015
PLATFORMS BEING USED: Connected TV, Tablets, Smartphones, PCs
HACKERLEAGUE PAGE: https://www.hackerleague.org/hackathons/tvot-sf-2014-hackathon
- Unique Hackathon Event, which Brings Together Developers, Directors, Designers and Other Experts and Creatives from the Worlds of Television, Online Video, Advertising, Big Data and Beyond, Will Take Place June 7th-8th, at the SPUR Urban Center in San Francisco
- Hackathon Finalists Will Be Showcased and the Winner Announced June 10th at the Eighth Annual TV of Tomorrow Show
- $6,000 Grand Prize, Sponsored by Gracenote
- Sponsors and Supporting Organizations Include National Geographic Channels (Exclusive Content Sponsor), Gracenote (Grand Prize/Organizational Sponsor), DirecTV, Boxfish and TransmediaSF
[itvt] is pleased to announce the tvot^ Hackathon 2014, a unique event that brings together hackers, directors, and other creatives and experts from the worlds of television, online video, advertising, big data, visual and sound design, display technology, art, music and beyond, to envision and build the TV of Tomorrow.
What is the TV of Tomorrow? As with our last two Hackathon events--the tvot^ Hackathon 2013 and the TVOT NYC Hackathon--we'll leave that entirely up to your vision and creativity! However, it could encompass such platforms, technologies, user experiences and media as the second screen (smartphones, tablets, etc.), the cloud, game consoles, advanced set-top boxes, smart TV's, gestural control, voice control, automatic content recognition, augmented reality, virtual reality, rich interactivity, binge-viewing, big data, metadata, gamification, personalization, audience participation, social media integration, geolocation, tcommerce, advertising, branded content, micro-video, transmedia storytelling, and more.
When: The tvot^ Hackathon 2014 will take place 9:00AM, June 7th-5:00PM June 8th (Saturday-Sunday). The finalists will then be showcased and the grand prize winner selected June 10th in a special session at The TV of Tomorrow Show 2014 (TVOT 2014), an event that attracts many of the leading figures of the advanced-TV industry.
Where: The tvot^ Hackathon 2014 will take place at the SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, San Francisco, California--an architecturally significant building located in the heart of the City's Yerba Buena district.
How to Register: Registration is free, but spaces are limited. So register here soon to reserve your place. Please note that registered tvot^ Hackathon 2014 participants also qualify for discount admission to The TV of Tomorrow Show 2014 (TVOT 2014). Email email@example.com for more information.
The Challenge: Hackers will be challenged to envision the TV of Tomorrow by conceiving, designing and building TV/video apps and experiences, primarily--though not exclusively--using technologies, platforms, content and knowledge contributed by the Hackathon sponsors. Participants are free to implement their visions of the TV of Tomorrow however they wish. While they will receive points for every participating company's technology that they employ, they will be judged primarily on the originality, elegance and usefulness (viability, scalability, monetizability etc.) of the app or experience they create.
Who Should Participate?: The tvot^ Hackathon 2014 is open to "hackers" of all kinds, including coders, but also visual and audio designers, content visionaries, business visionaries, students, storytellers, directors, producers, artists, advertising gurus and others.
What to Expect: The tvot^ Hackathon 2014 will last 36 hours, and food and drink will be provided. Representatives from the Hackathon hosts and the other participating companies and organizations will be on hand to provide advice on using their platforms, content, API's and other technologies. In addition, you'll be able to participate in breakout sessions with other advanced-/interactive-/social-/multiplatform-TV experts/mentors who can provide you with guidance and inspiration. Once you have completed a prototype or real implementation of your project, you will be asked to pitch it to a panel of judges who will select the three finalist projects that will be showcased at TVOT 2014. The winner, finalists and runners-up will also be featured in a special issue of the [itvt] newsletter, the first, best and most widely read publication on the interactive-TV industry.
What to Bring:
- Your laptop and cables.
- The hardware platform(s) you are developing for, such as tablets, smartphones, set-top boxes, etc.
- Any software and apps you need in order to create your app or front-end design.
- If you are already planning out your app in advance of the Hackathon, any additional assets you need in order to implement it (video, audio, images, vector art, wireframes, mockups, etc.)..
- Anything else you need for a marathon of creativity and innovation!
- Prizes: The winner of the tvot^ Hackathon 2014 will receive a $6,000 Grand Prize, presented by Gracenote. Finalists and runners-up will also be awarded prizes and schwag.
I Just Want to Hang Out and Watch--Can I?: The tvot^ Hackathon 2014 will be a highly enjoyable and very social event, that will present great opportunities for schmoozing and networking. However, because space is limited, non-"hackers" will only be admitted if they are TVOT 2014 ticket holders or speakers. Sorry, no exceptions! If you have not yet purchased your TVOT 2014 tickets, you can do so here.
Can My Company Participate as a Hackathon Host or Sponsor?: Yes. For more information, please contact Tracy Swedlow, editor-in-chief of the [itvt] newsletter and producer of The TV of Tomorrow Show, at firstname.lastname@example.org.